Avartek Boxer Hybrid – Drones Information
The Avartek Boxer Hybrid is a petrol-powered unmanned antenna system (UAS, UAV, RPAS or just a drone). The main feature of Avartek Boxer is the hybrid system that provides all of the flight energy by converting gasoline into electricity through its on-board power generator for much longer flight times while maintaining the high payloads of large LiPo drones.
Rather than transporting heavy batteries, the Avartek Boxer Hybrid was built around a liquid-cooled mini-generator power plant that converts gasoline into electrical power. The boxer generator can currently deliver 4 kW of energy, which corresponds to 5 kg of real payload and 2 hours of flight time. This quadruples the flight mission and makes it easier to deploy on site due to the lack of battery management and charging issues.
The boxer design is completely individual. The airframe was designed by Avartek in Solidworks and all parts are made in Finland. Only motors, Escs, the flight controller and other electronics are outsourced.
The entire copter is based on the hybrid generator’s ability to generate 10 times more energy than a similar weight in LiPo batteries. 4 kg of petrol offer 2 hours of flight time with a takeoff weight of 25 kg, while a typical LiPo battery in this size of a drone of 11 kg only needs 30 minutes. 4 kg of petrol (5 liters) correspond to 40 kg of LiPo batteries. On-site operations benefit greatly from the hybrid drone’s very fast duty cycle by offering easy refills rather than battery management and charging arrangements.
Boxer uses open source Arducopter code in a Hex Orange Cube flight controller and two GPS / compass setups for improved redundancy and accuracy. The Boxer Flight Controller is mounted on a Kore circuit board for better and easier cabling. The flight control system offers powerful, simple mission programming with assembly points, fences and excellent fail-safe programming, as well as a user-friendly system with unparalleled customization options for both flight control, sensor and additional hardware as well as software. Hex Cube Orange with Arducopter firmware is a 100% open system and corresponds to the latest technologies.
Avartek offers pre-built payload setups. Safe, fast assembly and complete suspension – ready for assembly of sensor, IMU and additional devices such as onboard PC and telemetry / cloud data connections. Boxers usually mount aids in the airframe while the IMU is securely attached to the sensor.
Quicklocks provide quick attachment points to the hardware rail under the airframe. This provides quick access to the payload and enables the payload to be exchanged quickly on site. The long payload rails and heavy-duty capability make the Boxer the ultimate multi-sensor UAV. The Boxer has a large deck on which auxiliary sensors for payload such as sensors for the irradiance of hyperspectral cameras can be accommodated. The payload GPS antenna can be attached to the antenna tower. The cables can be pulled through the body with customizable deck covers.
Payload Power System
The integrated payload power supply system supplies 12 V / 8 A for the installed payload. The payload capacity can be reached via an XT90 connection.
Avartek developed brushless power
Avartek boxer engines provide excellent flight performance for the boxer hybrid drone. These brushless motors feature the best bearings in the industry for minimal vibration and durability. The brushless boxer motors are regulated by T-Motor 60A speed controllers to achieve the best multicopter performance.
Boxer Hybrid uses the 4 KW Pegasus Range Extender. This generator is now well tested and the generator firmware has reached a mature state where users with well-designed failafes can expect reliable performance. The generator system is very light and offers the best weight / power performance in the industry.
The generator starts remotely and makes it very easy to get the system up and running and generate flight energy. This also provides additional fail-safety, as the generator can restart in the event of a flame in the air.
The muffler developed by Avartek offers excellent engine sound insulation without loss of power. The silencer works extremely well in the speed range of the straight-through generators. The Avartek Boxer silencer makes the drone so much quieter. We will publish the exact noise test result as soon as it is available. The test will be carried out in Finland in September 2020 by the Finnish Traffic Management and VTT Research (State Technical Research Institute).
Technical data and configuration
- Frame size: Octo-X, for redundancy and easier portability thanks to the folding arm design 1475 mm (diagonal), height 800 mm
- Transport size: length 990, width 745, height 570 mm
- Empty weight: 16.5 kg (including 5A flight battery)
- MTOW: 27.0 kg
- Flight control: Hex Cube Orange with Arducopter firmware and two GNSS and compass antennas
- Power distribution: Kore board with 12V 2A payload
- Payload: 12V 8A, accessible via the XT90 connector
- Remote control: Futaba T14SG, receiver R7008SB
- Telemetry link: 868 MHz / 900 MHz long range RFD modem
- Ground station: Open source software, Mission Planner recommended
- Fail-safe: radio, GNSS, GeoFence, voltage and ground station, programmable fail-safe procedures
- Motor control ESC: T-Motor Flame 60A
- Engines: Avartek Boxer KV130
- Propeller size: 28 “x 8”
- Flight battery: Lipo 12S 5Ah (standard)
- Battery flight time: 3.5 min at 25 kg
- Generator system: GE70 Pegasus Aeronautics
- Max generator power: 4 KW
- Power at 25 kg: 3.2 KW
- Fuel tank size: 7 liters
- Flight battery: 12S 5Ah
Boxer hybrid folds for easy transport and storage.
It’s compact enough to fit in the trunk of a regular station wagon.
Long range telemetry for ground control station
- The RFD900x is a high-performance ISM band radio modem with 868 or 900 MHz. It is designed for long range serial communication applications that require high quality radio link performance.
- Frequency range: 902 – 928 MHz (USA) / 915 – 928 MHz (Australia) / 868 – 870 (European band)
- Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS)
- Transparent serial connection
- Point-to-point or multipoint network
- Standard settings: 57600 baud, N, 8, 1 and 64k air data rate
- Error correction routines, Mavlink protocol framing (user selectable)
- Mavlink radio status reporting (local RSSI, remote RSSI, local noise, remote noise)
- Automatic antenna diversity switching on a packet basis in real time
- Automatic throttling of the duty cycle based on the radio temperature to avoid overheating
Comes with a professional refueling system
20 liter capacity with electric fuel pump in a beautiful CNC-milled aluminum housing with carbon collar and Festo fillings.
Don’t forget to mix 2.5% oil into the gasoline before running the generator.