Elroy Air – Automobile Integration Engineer – Drones Information
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous cargo aircraft systems that are changing the way the world moves goods. Moving cargo by air can be much faster than by land or sea – but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain, and aerospace materials, air transportation had remained too expensive. We will change that. And we’re solving a big problem: the express logistics industry spends 140 billion US dollars annually worldwide.
This is not our first rodeo, but there is still a lot of exciting work ahead of us. You will play an important role in the design and development of the Elroy Air system. Our future partners and customers respond enthusiastically. As we prepare to pilot our vehicles with customers, we’re looking for people like you: motivated teammates who are excited about this mission and the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous air transport system.
As a Vehicle Integration Engineer, you will support our team in coping with a variety of development tasks in the areas of aerospace, structure, mechanics and electromechanics as well as aircraft testing requirements that are of crucial importance for our VTOL aircraft and the associated subsystems.
What you will own
- Establishing suitable construction / assembly methods and then executing the construction and assembly of aircraft, fixtures and test equipment for our vehicle development and test programs
- CAD (SolidWorks) experience and skillful use of hand tools, power tools, and processing equipment are required for this role
- Integration and debugging of complex systems with electrical and electromechanical devices in aircraft and test fixtures
- Designing parts suitable for machining, composite molding, welding, laser cutting, water jet, forgings, etc.
- Create manufacturing drawings / CAD for suppliers to ensure parts meet our performance goals. Work with our designers and engineers to develop appropriate access hatches and field replaceable drive units and ensure fastener accessibility
- Assisting our engineering team with the design and calculation required to design a wide variety of aircraft components and test fixtures
- Provision of operational feedback for the development and validation of aircraft CONOPs Participation in the operation of test equipment
- Working with our flight test team to participate in pre-flight and post-flight procedures as well as at the ground control station
Our ideal candidate
- Experience and interest in operating unmanned systems
- 3 to 5 years of experience in aerospace, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering directly related to vehicle design or robot systems, preferably in the UAV area
- Experience the construction of vehicles or robots with high-performance drives or actuators
- Experience in designing machined parts and composite structures
- Familiar with a wide variety of production processes including but not limited to best practices for CNC machining, 3D printing, waterjet and laser cutting, gluing and gluing, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in the respective engineering field or equivalent professional experience
- Knowledge of SolidWorks CAD and simulation packages
- Practical experience with aircraft components and aircraft-related systems
- Create and own documentation for a variety of technical, programming, and testing needs
- Experience with instrumentation and data acquisition systems (e.g. National Instruments / LabView)
- Experience operating new systems in an R&D environment
- Can adapt to changing priorities and goals
- Comfortable work in a small multidisciplinary team
Bonus points for
- Familiarity with FAA regulations (Part 91, 23, 27, 135)
- Certificate for private or commercial pilots
- Experience in aircraft construction
- Experience in developing parts and structures for weight-restricted applications
- Past experience in developing parts and structures with large composite vehicles / robots / etc.
Elroy Air values and strives for diversity in our workforce and does not discriminate based on the applicant’s identity under the same employment opportunities and federal, state and local laws. We define diversity as the multitude of perspectives, life experiences and backgrounds that make up a person’s identity. This includes not only gender and race, but also; ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenting status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any combination of these.
We recommend that you apply even if you do not exactly fit our open role. Many of our team members come from non-traditional backgrounds.
All employees are checked
APPLY FOR THIS JOB