Zipline – Methods Engineer – Drones Information
Do you want to change the world Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and life saving medication to thousands of hospitals that serve millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide immediate access to vital medical supplies for everyone on earth. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Do you like tackling system-level reliability and pushing the hardware to its limits? Do you enjoy solving complex problems with little guidance, a high degree of personal responsibility, and the freedom to implement them? At Zipline, our work is meant for the realm. Patients count on it today – there’s no time to aim low or fall short. If you like building systems that can increase reliability and production volume by 2-5 times over the next 3 months, read on.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistical revolution: We develop, manufacture and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to provide people in need with essential medical supplies within minutes, 7 days a week. Today we fly around the equator twice a week. In a few months we will do this once a day and once an hour by the end of 2020.
Zipline was founded by engineers who are committed to making the world a better place. We are scaling all over the world and need someone on our team who is enthusiastic about increasing our system reliability and building capacity dramatically in the year ahead. Every day, your dedication and decisive action help save lives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Own quantitative reliability requirements from general product definitions to certain failure modes. Perform specific design actions to achieve this.
- Contribute to the design of the overall system architecture by making tradeoffs between analytical reliability and early concepts.
- Own fault tolerance requirements for functions such as actuation, bus / HF communication, power and drive.
- Development and maintenance of system reliability models and predictions.
- Facilitation of risk analysis methods (FMEA / FMECA, HARA) for prioritized technical measures.
- Develop and run DOE test suite to look down materials and processes.
- Develop models for usage time and the likelihood of usage stress.
- Apply the physics of failure to the application of new and unique technologies.
- Meet with end customers in health clinics, flight operators, flight system maintenance and development actors to internalize reliability effects and degrees of severity.
- Root cause analysis and solution of difficult technical problems of a product that save lives all over the world every day.
- Develop test plans and specifications to shut down selected materials or processes, statistical strength models for hardware-specific failures, and reliability demonstrations.
WHAT YOU BRING WITH YOU
- As a trustworthy technical expert for highly reliable, safety-critical systems from the concept phase to mass production.
- Ability to solve complex multidisciplinary problems on time with little supervision.
- Background in the synthesis of elegant solutions from different sectors such as aerospace, automotive, entertainment electronics, medicine or industry.
- Plus: Experience the development of systems that are resistant to harsh climatic environments, mechanical vibrations, electrostatic discharge and / or high electrical interference.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by Federal, state, or local laws, or our own sensitivities.
We value the diversity at Zipline and look forward to applications from people who are traditionally underrepresented in technology. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure whether it is a perfect fit, please apply!